Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Belief in Miracles

I've said more than once, that I really have a great job!

I get to be a part of a moment in these families lives, a moment that stays with them forever!
Occasionally, you are lucky enough to have a family that you really make a connection with!

10 days ago, I had just that family!
Mama C, and her wonderful husband, expecting baby #4!
A co-worker of mine said "Wow, you struck gold with them, didn't you?!" 
Yep, I did.
I spent a large amount of the night in their room, just talking.
Not even about "nurse-y" stuff, just stuff.
It was awesome!

But through the night, things did not progress as I would have liked. 
Nothing that had me sending out
alarms, but little things that kept nagging at me. 
I just didn't have a great vibe and said as much to the nurse taking over.
 I left at 7:30am feeling bummed that things probably wouldn't go as this family had planned.

Understatement of the decade.

9:03am:  Mama C stopped breathing.
The next 35 minutes were the most harrowing minutes most of my colleagues can ever remember.
 35 minutes that rocked our entire unit.
I won't go into details, but when I came back to work at 7:30pm,
I was told that Mama C was in the ICU and Baby C was shipped out to another facility. 
Neither of them doing well.

I cried
A lot
I went to see her and cried some more.
She was strong.
The next night, I went to see her again.
She was talking.
I hugged her, and breathed a sigh (or a million) of relief.

Much to everyones' amazement and joy, she left the ICU in just 2 days
and went to our regular post-partum unit!
Baby C was sent back here after 5 days!  Yeah!
Last night I was thrilled to be able to hold and snuggle Baby C while
chatting with his mommy!

Tomorrow, both Mama C and her sweet little one are headed home!!! 
Together!
They are strong, they are survivors,
They are AMAZING!

This birth has confirmed my belief in miracles!
God is Good!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Ana I didn't know you were the night nurse- how scary. Big hug to you from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!!! What a wonderful and happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write beautifully Ana. I was mesmerized by your story. I also had to wipe a tear from my eye. What a truly amazing job you have. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy bday to your beautiful daughter, Lila, what a cutie pie !!!

    PS why did Mommy stop breathing?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!