Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Patience with the Whine

ugh...

Since Elaina was born, I've always been grateful that the "challenging" phases for each of them happened to avoid occurring at the same time.  When Lila would have her weeks of "issues", Elaina was in general a good, happy, baby.  And when Miss Elaina decided to give us grief, Lila was well behaved, and even-tempered.

The past few weeks, well...
the worlds have collided!  And it's not pretty.

I currently am dealing with an emotionally unstable 3.5year old, who must cry 20 times a day, and carries a persistent whine that makes me want to drink myself into oblivion.  We've tried the ignorance approach, but trying to block out her crying for 30 minutes can push both Ryan and I to the breaking point.  We've tried discipline, we've tried being gentle... the whine continues.

Deep breath.

Then, I've got miss naughty in the throws of the terrible 2's.  All the typical, hitting, biting, "NO", "Mine", nasty throw-down tantrums, you can come to expect of a willful Type-A two year old.  She taunts her already irritable sister, and finds amusement in defying both of her parents.

I realize kids will go through phases.  I realize that at some point this shall pass and it won't seem like such a big deal.  I realize that in the grand scheme of things, life could be a lot worse, but dammit if it isn't FRUSTRATING!!!!

If any of you out there have any pearls of wisdom, or just words of encouragement, I'd be delighted to hear them!  Just let me know I'm not alone in my moments when I look at them and think "it's a good thing I love you so much..."!

I'm going to gladly go fold my laundry in peace, as the little darlings are at daycare today.
Thank God for small blessings!

:)

1 comment:

  1. A wise woman gave me this advice....add "for now" to all of your sentences as a reminder that this is temporary. Example: "For now she is a handful." or "For now I am sleep deprived." Make sense? Hang in there. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!